6.30.2004

From the Capital of the United States of America

I bring to you, my dear friends, the "happenings" during this trip.

Tonight, I went to see Michael Moore's new documentary, Fahrenheit 9/11. Where else would it seem more fitting to watch such a documentary, but here, in the Capital, of good ol' US of A?

Without revealing too much, I must say that I very much enjoyed this documentary. The issues/facts/views that are revealed, are things that you should know, need to know. It helps people better understand the whys and the hows of 9/11, the war, and what is happening presently.

But, there will be people who will call this documentary fictitious and circumstantial because of its evident bias against Bush and his administration. And, my rebuttal to all that is -- of course it is biased, nothing ever created by a human being is ever going to be completely objective. He chose these facts and views on his documentary because he realizes that our mainstream media shows only ONE side. Freedom of press? Not quite -- the right itself is manipulated to what fits the need of the gov't. Michael Moore is trying to open the nation's eyes to what Bush and company has attempted to squash from the spotlight. Even if you disagree with Moore, and believe in this president's abilities to run this country honestly and effectively, watch it anyways. It's better to hear both sides than to go along blindly... and that goes for anyone, I think.

Anyways.... with the exception of Marty, who is the professor from Cornell College(Iowa), none of the kids from CC seem to want to watch this documentary. Ah, well....

--

As far as this trip is going, it's been a long week. Not necessarily because it's been horrible or anything, but more so because we've been doing a lot of things. We ended up giving our talks at "the" USDA in MD, near, or maybe even in, College Park... It was alright... It really did seem as if our lab has produced more results than CC, but that could be because we're doing plants and they're doing flies.

I feel as thought the group could be more cohesive, but it doesn't help when we have 3 IC kids and 5 CC kids, and we've all been working w/ each other, so it's harder to mesh.

There actually is another NON-science major from CC -- Matt -- he's a philosophy major, and often feels as though he is kind of left out of the group of CC kids b/c well... he's a philosophy major.

--

I've already seen all the things that the groups' been wanting to see. It was kinda weird b/c I was only 1 of 2 ppl in the conjoined group that was from the city, and the other one is from suburb... which... never really counts, now does it?

--

and, that's all I can really remember about the trip at this point... i'm tuckered out!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home